Monday, December 19, 2011

NL WEST - Season #20 Preview

Honolulu Rainbow Warriors


Hey there, new owner, taking over what appears to be a team with some high-end major-league talent, a garbage farm system, and some brutal contracts. I think I can be competitive this year, and could absolutely sneak into the playoffs as a wildcard, but really looking towards the two following seasons when we shed some dead money and can be more active in free agency.

Made very few aquisitions this year, just a fifth starter type to see if I can run a six-man rotation. My top prospects, such as they are, are Derek Jones, and Philip and Rob Whitfield. And beyond that, a lot of guys with horrendous splits and awesome bunting ratings. Yeah! Looking forward to competing with all of you.



San Francisco Maize 'N Blue


I feel I have one of the best pitching staffs in this world with Niko Kirby, Harry Palacios, Jimmy Veras, and Felipe Martinez in the bigs and with Raul Batista, Lou Hendrickson and last year's 1st rd pick James Lamb developing nicely in the minors. 

Bullpen is still a work in progress, but there are some good players for the future.  Traded away most all of my offensive prospects last year to get the pitching depth I now have so we will be targeting offensive IFA's and draft choices this year and for the next few seasons.

Didn't make any significant moves this offseason other than signing my only true stud on offense in Delino Silva to a 5-yr extension.  The rest of my ML offense is aging and likely to find new homes this year as we continue to try and build this franchise into a serious contender.

My pitching staff should keep us in the playoff chase and you'll be glad to know that we will be staying in San Francisco for at least two more seasons.



St. Louis Wish I Had Pujols'


This season the goal is to get over .500 and possibly challenge for the division. Brought up a couple decent prospects this year in Osvaldo Bennett and Harry Cortes. Also brought up one of my better prospects in T.J. Hall. Next two up will be Ted Van Hekken and Joaquin Bonilla, probably next year.
Looking to next year as year to really turn the corner.

Will be in the market for stud top of the rotation guy and if I can get that, I should be able to compete well for post season spot.

 No big aquisitions, did lose Mateo Leon and worse, Alex Mangual. Biggest roster move in positive direction was calling up Hall. Got unlucky and missed turnover while out of country and missed out on resigning my own free agents. ..really wanted to keep Mangual and arbitration which stuck me with some guys I am paying way too much for.

On the positive side, I have 8 picks in the top 67 of the draft and 9 in the top 77.




Vancouver Big Blue Bulldogs

-